Monday, February 21, 2011

Meditation week

     Meditation week was a big success. I tried several different kinds of meditation: zen, smiling, guided and free form. Zen was the hardest for me because during practice you have to sit in a specific posture and keep your mind clear of all thought. I set a timer for 30 min (which was the minimum meditation time each day). I made it 17 before getting too antsy and checking my phone.
     Smiling meditation was my favorite because it is so uplifting.  The basis is that you smile with every part of your body. Smile with your liver. Your heart. On  top of smiling, I went through and thought of WHY everything was smiling, too. This did me a lot of good because I have been struggling since surgery. Certain organs are not wanting to do  what they are supposed to which leads to frustrating side effects. It was exhilarating just to smile and be glad about what is good in the moment.
     At the end of the week I dropped my sitting pulse from 110 bpm to 80. I really had to work at it, but I got it there. My heart is not exploding this week. I think it would be good for me to continue practicing so it continues not exploding. Plus peace of mind, relaxation time, clarity of thought...'n stuff.
     This week: Cartoon week. Drawing, not just watching.

1 comment:

treasureislandcrafts said...

I made Max a mala for meditation. It took me six months to save the perfect beads (it took 108). I'll put a pic on my blog so you can see it.