Sunday, July 24, 2011

OK, pretend this was from last week...

     Last week was las paletas week. Paletas are a type of Latin American Popsicle. Wikipedia says, "The name comes from palo, or "stick," and the diminutive ending -eta, referencing the little flat stick frozen into each item." I strongly suggest that in this summer heat you experiment with these yourself.
     I bought a Popsicle maker from Bed, Bath and Beyond- you know one of those little plastic things with brightly colored holders that you stick into it. I got the one that has the little sipper thing, too, so that you get to enjoy it even as it melts. It costs me $3.
     There are two types of paletas- cream based and water-based. I tried both and loved both. Some of the combos I made were as follows:
  • Coconut milk and toasted coconut (cream based)
  • Coconut and large pineapple pieces (cream based)
  • Mango (water based)
  • Mango and sweet tea (water based)
  • Arnold Palmer (which is half lemonade and half tea. It tastes like really lemony tea)
  • Pineapple (water based)
  • Pineapple and pineapple sage (water based)
     I had planned to make cherry and cherry yogurt swirl, but Ben and I ate all the cherries before that could happen. I also tried to work out a s'morescycle. Too sticky so far. There are some paletas that are traditional that I have not the courage for such as dill pickle and avocado.
     I love experimenting like this. I discovered some fun flavor combos and eat Popsicles. I have kept making my faves ( pineapple and I made peach) because it is so darn hot. The best part is that they are all natural- no unnatural flavors or preservatives or colors. Even the "real fruit" pops have all of that stuff in it. What is not to love?

1 comment:

treasureislandcrafts said...

I've GOT to get some of those popsicle making things some time. I found an awesome paletas recipe for horchata flavored pops that sounds wonderful.