Sunday, April 17, 2011

Yay vegan week!

     So, this week was the hardest one that I have done and yet the most rewarding. Being vegan cuts out a lot of things that most people don't even think about. One big stumbling block was sugar. Any sugar processed and bleached is made with bone meal. The crushed bones of animals? Ooh, sounds delish... Anyway, more than you'd think has hidden sugar in it. Ketchup, granola, peanut butter and more. Sugar was the only thing that I had strong cravings for. I wanted it sooo bad by day three.
     I have to admit that I slipped a few times. A muffin, a bite of ranch dressing on a fry (the fry was vegan), and on the last night I ate creme brulee. Oops. I loved it. I will admit that I did have more energy. But I ate like seven times a day. I stayed hungry. Perhaps if I had planned starches better that would not have happened.
     I'm sure you are all waiting on tenterhooks to see who won the contest. Well, I only had two real entries. Thank you Kayla Park (gravy) and JC Fulton (chocolate chip cookies) for two real, excellent recipes. Both of you get a prize- an original Hannah acrylic painting. As soon as I finish painting them I will send them off and post a pic.  Natalie- what were you trying to do to me? Guacamole on an endive did not work out for me. And of course, a (dis)honorable mention to Dana Hunter who quite obviously cheated. I really got the giggles, but I appreciated the fact that you took the time to google it.

This week: poetry week. Want to participate? Send your favorite poem. Let's act like we learned at college!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wanted to come up with an intellectual, deep poem. But I'm bad at poetry so, we'll stick with good ole Emily Dickinson.

"Heart, we will forget him!
You and I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!"

A high school friend and I used to recite this poem all.the.time. Yes, we were really awesome.